Kishore Vaigyanic Protsahan Yojana ( KVPY ) Fellowship is certainly the best way to get into any Science college in India, and that too, with an outstanding scholarship. Check 0ut this page for the scholarship amount and general FAQ’s : About KVPY. Meanwhile, here is our guide to KVPY :
Plus, it goes really well for your career too… , it really boosts your resume. So, loads try for it but only few get through.This article might help you a lot with your KVPY preparation… especially around this time, just before the written round.
Firstly, i would like to tell you that i am a KVPY SA -2014 Scholar myself….so you can trust my advice 🙂
- H.C.Verma : Concepts of Physics Vol 1
- H.C. Verma : Concepts of Physics Vol 2
- NCERT Biology : Class 11
- NCERT Biology : Class 12
- Physics : Those who are preparing for JEE, your coaching material shall suffice here. Just make sure that you cover up all the class 10th chapters ( though with JEE level depth). Mechanics will help you a lot and at times, there are good questions framed on electromagnetism and optics. So, make sure that you have atleast an idea of these chapters. Alternatively, you may want to leave these questions and strengthen your class XI chapters. You can use the time saved to work on Biology also. Refer HCV for Physics…it is the best book for you.
- Chemistry : NCERT Chemistry Books Class X, and XI shall be sufficient. And for inorganic, you should use Part 1 of class XII Chemistry just to be on the safe side. Just remember that Chemistry is a high scoring subject. So, it falls to you to make the most of it…. it will decide your KVPY written exam performance. Make sure that you know these chapters well : IUPAC Nomenclature, Hydrocarbons, Alkyl halides, Hydrogen, s block, Mole concept, Thermochemistry.
- Mathematics : The toughest of all the 4 subjects, Maths will make you sweat. The questions asked in it are of class 10th syllabus only. However, their level is much much higher than class 10 syllabus. Additionally, make sure that you are pretty good at trigonometry..it will count a lot (esp. the properties of triangle chapter). For maths, i would sincerely recommend that you solve the McGrawHill Mathematics for JEE-Advanced.Practice a lot.
- Biology : Ironically, this subject is the one that is going to decide your KVPY written round performance the most. Infact, this subject is the one in which you can get full marks by putting in the least efforts (I got full in Bio). Basically, all you need to ensure is that NCERT Class X and XI Biology books are imprinted in your mind. It will help you a lot. Come to think of it, if you remove the silly diagram drawing of Bio, it can be pretty interesting to read. And you know what? Reading it thrice will imprint it in your mind…. I am not talking of casual readers here. Rather, I am talking of those who will read it and make notes side by side.
KVPY written exam is the most important stage of the entire KVPY. As it has 75% contribution to the final score, if you score quite high in the written round, then you will surely clear with an awesome AIR. Try to get a high AIR, because IISc accepts kids of SA who have AIR 1-250 (somewhere around 250).
So, get crackin’ already, and rock on.
After you are done with the Stage 1, I will guide you on Stage 2.
Feel free to contact anytime (see the Contact Us Page)
Aakash Kapoor (AIR-95, JEE 2016)